Welcome to my reading wrap up for May!
I Am A Hero (omnibus 1) – by Kengo Hanazawa
I wanted to love this but Hideo, the main character, is an ass. He’s just so weak and single-minded and weird. He talks to himself and isn’t assertive at all. Safe to say he drove me nuts. The zombies were the best bit and kicked in just over half way, but apart from that this volume was pretty meh to me. May continue, may not. Don’t know yet.
3 / 5 stars
A Court of Mist and Fury (book 2) – by Sarah J Maas
I have my thoughts linked here. After hating book 1, I very nearly didn’t pick this up. But I’m glad I did! I enjoyed this a LOT more than I thought I would. That ending… just, BOOM, there goes my feelings.
4 / 5 stars
Monstress (volume 1) – by Marjori Liu
This was freaking BEAUTIFUL to read; the art, I could stare at it all day. I loved the story too, but it was a little bit overwhelming with all the information it packed in. I think it’d benefit from a reread. But other than that I’m intrigued by the characters, demons and magic! I read this as part of my #AsianLitBingo TBR!
4 / 5 stars
Spellslinger – by Sebastian De Castell
This was so engaging, funny and interesting. Also brutal at times for a young adult book! It was such a good little fantasy and I was sucked right into it. ❤ I have a full spoiler free review here if you want to hear more!
5 / 5 stars
Never Say Die (book 11) – by Anthony Horowitz
This was a last-minute addition to my reading list for May! I won a proof from Dymocks and picked it up as soon as it arrived! It’s the next saga in Alex Rider’s life: he is now 15 and lives in America. It can be read as a continuation of Alex’s story OR you can start here if you want to read about Alex Rider for the first time. I wrote a review here; I loved revisiting Alex’s spy life and adventures!
4 / 5 stars
- I attended the Begin, End, Begin anthology launch on May 4 and met a bunch of the authors for it! It was such a lovely night at Readings Bookstore with bookish friends, but it was also very packed and warm! I can’t wait to read this, hopefully in June! (We shall see…)
- IT WAS MY BIRTHDAY! I’m now 24, yikes, adulting. I used aging as an excuse to buy books because really, who wouldn’t. (Haul here.)
- Currently watching: iZombie and Avatar the Last Airbender. They’re both brilliant (completely unlike each other HA) and I absolutely love them! Check them out! I need to get the graphic novel/comics that continue the Avatar adventures!
- I attended Free Comic Book Day on May 6 with my boyfriend! It was delightfully cheerful and nerdy. We met a Ninja Turtle.
- Maaaay have bought a signed hardback of Assassin’s Fate (book 3) by Robin Hobb. I love her books. ❤
- MY BOYFRIEND & I BOOKED TICKETS, FLIGHTS & ACCOMMODATION TO SYDNEY TO MEET BRANDON SANDERSON!!! I am over the moon!! Sydney Supanova, here I come. AHIOFHAIUDHGSKL!
- I fell in love, 10/10 would watch again, with the new King Arthur movie. Meh about the plot, but the way it’s SHOT? And the EFFECTS? *knees weak*
- I surpassed 90 posts on this blog! Which I’m pretty proud of. Keeping consistent while working full time is HARD.
Overall, I had a pretty decent reading month this May! Most of my books are 4 stars or higher (I’ll just ignore I Am A Hero, oops). There are DEFINITELY more books I wish I’d squeezed in, but I have so many lined up, they’ll just have to wait. This isn’t the first time that I’ve wished I was a faster reader! Oh well. Still got the rest of the year. ❤
Total read this month: 5
Total read overall: 29
Current Goodreads goal: 50