Welcome to my July wrap up!
You may notice that the first two things I read weren’t even on my July TBR. Doing well, doing well.
They Both Die at the End – by Adam Silvera
This made me sob and I loved it. Two boys receive their End Day call, they have 24hrs left to live, and they meet via the Last Friend app. That’s all I need to tell you aside from GO PREORDER IT. I’ll have a review up closer to the release in September. ❤
5 / 5 stars
Wolverine: Old Man Logan (volume 1) – by Jeff Lemire
I loved it but was confused by it. Also the art changed at the end, but the same artist is listed for the whole thing? Consider me confused, but I’ll be reading on for sure! Marvel loves to mix up their stories and characters in the best arcs and I am excited for more!!
4 / 5 stars
The Color Project – by Sierra Abrams
This was a delightfully cute but hard-hitting contemporary. I have a full spoiler free review here, but overall I really loved it & it made me cry & I laughed too and aaahhh! Definitely worth the read!
4.5 / 5 stars
Corpselight (book 2) – by Angela Slatter
This book was an awesome ball of mystery, humour, sarcasm and supernatural. I loved it. I was part of the blog tour & you can read my thoughts here! Or, book 1’s review, which is here.
4.75 / 5 stars
Warcross – by Marie Lu
Emika is a hacker, she is desperate for cash, she’s a bounty hunter. She hacks the virtual reality, Warcross, as a last chance to snatch herself some money but accidentally exposes herself to millions of viewers. The plot continues from there, I don’t want to spoil anything. This was such a colourful, intriguing read and I enjoyed it a lot. Full thoughts in a little bit cos this book isn’t published until Sep!
4 / 5 stars
Stalking Jack the Ripper – by Kerri Manisalco
This was a gripping, witty, feminist historical YA mystery where Audrey Rose is training as an apprentice to her Uncle and performing autopsies and learning science. They’re investigating the murders of Jack the Ripper. It was so much fun and I honestly enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would! My review will be up shortly!
4 / 5 stars
The Lyre Thief – by Jennifer Fallon
An adult high fantasy, split perspectives, where EVERYTHING CONVERGED AT THE END, YESSSS. I wasn’t hooked at the beginning, but by mid-way I was intrigued by certain characters and it was extremely fulfilling to get to the end. Now I need book 2, ah. (Review coming for this one shortly, too.)
4 / 5 stars
- I went to Oz Comic Con! Yes, another convention. I’ve been to so many recently and MY WALLET IS SUFFERING. But I met Jason Momoa so: winning. (HE IS BIG.) I also got a Doctor Who TARDIS necklace cos we all know I’m a huge nerd, so there’s that.
- I was asked to volunteer/work with Melbourne Writer’s Festival this year! I am part of their Digital Storyteller program (along with 5 others). I’ll be attending events & writing posts, so keep an eye out! I AM SO EXCITED! You can read the program here! ❤ I wrote a post about the MWF program here!
- I got Traitor’s Blade, book 1 in a series by Sebastian de Castell, cos it was on an epic sale price at the end of June so thanks Booktopia! Also, same author as Spellslinger, but this is adult fantasy. YEE. CANNAE WAIT TO READ.
- I felt guilty about how little I’m reading. Seems to be a constant state of mind for me at the moment. BUT, my contract was extended again, which means full time work until September, woohoo! So my time is well and truly occupied!
- I realised I was 7 books behind my Goodreads goal of 80. *panics mildly*
- I purchased the July Owlcrate box (Wanderlust) AND the July Fairyloot box (Tricksters). I never thought I’d be a sub box junkie yet here I am: broke & surrounded by stuff. 😀
- I was featured (blogger spotlight) in the industry newsletter Books+Publishing! SO CHUFFED!
And that wraps up July! I almost said August. Who even am I, what year is it. Somebody tell the year it’s going too fast. Hope you had a lovely month!!
Total read this month: 7 (it got past 4, it’s a miracle!)
Total read overall: 39
Current Goodreads goal: 80